Clare is a small town, some 33 kilometres from Ayr. In the 1860's the Clare Crossing was the coastal link with the north and west, except of course in the wet season when the mighty Burdekin River was running torrents. The "Burdekin Crossing" or "Hamilton's Crossing" was the area's first known name, it was then called "Mulgrave" and surveyed by Surveyor Wilson on 31st March 1877. On the 20th July 1882 Mulgrave was changed to Clare by Alcott Tulley, who named Clare after a member of his family.

In the late 1880's at the Clare crossing, was a roughly built slab hotel and changing station, Post Office and Telegraph Repeater Station.

It seems certain that Mr Hamilton was the first owner of the Clare Hotel. Gold miner, teamsters, horse and wagon supplies, business men, pioneering settlers and drovers called at the hotel by foot, horse or coach. In the 1890's Mary Ann Kemp bought and managed the hotel. In 1899 Mr Charles Gray owned the hotel and store and was the first mail contractor in 1900. Mr Edward Larkin became the hotel proprietor of the hotel after Mr Gray. He dismantled the old hotel and built a new hotel and in 1908 sold the hotel license to Alice Lancaster at Sturt's Creek. Mrs Mary Schatzel was at the old hotel site when the mail contractor brought mail and everyone met to collect theirs. The old hotel was dismantled and made into two houses in Ayr in 1926.

Mr Neal Christensen had a hut near the present grave on the bank of the Burdekin. On the 9th February 1939 Stanley Williams Sydney Kierle bought the lease from the Christensen's for an area of 1,235 acres on a 30 year term lease. This had been partly cleared with a hut, stockyards and fencing being improvements on the property. The Department of Public Lands decided this was required for tobacco growing under irrigation and Stanley had no option but to surrender his title to the land. This was done on the 25th January 1949. The price paid was 350 pounds.

The Soldier's Settlement begins, 63 tobacco farms were established around the Clare area. Sixty acres of forest land had to be cleared, ploughed and planted with tobacco. The Irrigation and Water Supply Commission built channels and supplied the water which was very scarce in October/November the critical growing time for tobacco. The Department of Main Roads built the roads and also the tobacco barns, bulk sheds and settler's houses. Seven years after the soldier settlement began the exodus began, famers walked of their properties leaving everything behind including their debts. Things became more difficult for many farmers and about 1960 the main crops were maize and beans. Who can forget the backbreaking work of harvesting beans for seed.

Sugar Cane assignments to the Invicta Mill Giru had been established so the life of the Clare Sugar farmer began. The tram line from Giru to Clare was established, this later extended to Dalbeg. The Central Sugar Cane Prices Board allowed 30 acres to be harvested in 1965 to the new Clare assignees. In 1966 82 tonnes of cane per hectare was produced and this increased to 132.67 in 19734 levelling to around 114 tonnes of cane per hectare. 225,000 tonnes of cane were harvested in the early eighties. The average CCS in 1999 Clare season was 14.8

Rice was grown in the area from 1967 when commercial seed was released for local farmers to grow and continued to 1992 when the Rice Mill at Home Hill closed. Other popular crops are maize, pumpkins, watermelons, vegetables such as squash, eggplants, cucumbers, capsicums, and of course rockmelons and honey-dew melons.

Many smaller farms have been sold and combined into larger farms and are more viable in today's market. The world sugar price determines the farmer's financial reward and swings from one extreme to the other. Farming and allied industries provide most of the work and employment in Clare today.

The township of Clare today is not as big as it was in the Fifties but we have a town swimming pool (owned by the Burdekin Shire Council) and members pay an annual subscription. The Clare Hall is still there but in need of refurbishment and modernising. The little Church of England church is still there, along with a Roman Catholic Church. The Presbyterian Church has been demolished after it was severely damaged when a cyclone hit on the 4th April 1989. The Clare Club was also damaged and later replaced with the new Clare Sports and Recreation Club Inc. Gone are the baker, butchers and Post Office. Today we have Homewood's Clare Store and Caravan Park. The Police Station is still there but the lockup has been removed. IAMA has a depot opposite the school. The Department of National Resources has an Office and workshop. IAMA has a depot opposite the school. Th Department of National Resources has an office and workshop. Houses make up the remainder of the town of Clare.

(extract from the Golden Jubilee booklet published in 2000)